Keto Better than the Hut Cheese Sticks
If you are like me and really enjoy cheese sticks, my favorite by far are from Pizza Hut, then this recipe will definitely hit the spot for you. At its base, it is simply a variation of fathead dough, but it becomes so much more than that. It is a delicious cheesy keto treat that reminds me of the crunchy, cheesy, Pizza Hut cheese sticks that I once loved. I hope that you all love these as much as I do 😊
If you have never made a fathead dough, I will be the one to tell you that it is an AMAZING base recipe. It can be used for a pizza crust, a calzone, a keto cheese crisp, or even sweetened to be a base for some sweet treats. I will be posting more recipes that showcase just how versatile this dough is but let’s get going on the star of this recipe, the Keto Cheesestick!
6 oz (3/4 cup) of shredded mozzarella cheese (I use Kraft because it is a low moisture cheese)
3/8 cup of Superfine Almond Flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 tsp of baking powder (I use Clabber Girl)
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese (I use Kraft shredded)
1. Preheat the over to 350
2. Measure out 6 oz of your shredded mozzarella cheese in a microwave safe bowl. I use a small kitchen scale. If you don’t have a scale, 6 oz is ¾ cup.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder and parmesan cheese until it is well combined.
4. Place your mozzarella cheese in the microwave and microwave for 30 seconds, remove from the microwave and stir. You want to do this until the cheese is completely melted. In my microwave, I have to do this a total of 2 times. Depending on your microwave, it may take you more or less time to completely melt your cheese. **Note: watch your cheese very closely. Melting it to fast can cause the cheese to crisp and brown around the edges.**
5. Add your egg to the mixture and stir until it is completely combined with the cheese. I normally start with a fork and then when it is mostly combined, I switch to a wooden spoon.
6. Once the egg is incorporated, add the mixture of almond flour, baking powder and parmesan cheese to the mozzarella and egg mixture.
7. Stir this together until combined. **If you are having trouble mixing it with your spoon, knead the dough by hand until completely combined.**
8. Once it is combined, place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out until it is your desired thickness. **I make it about the thickness of a pizza crust. The thinner that you roll it, the crunchier it will become**
9. Take a fork and poke the top of the dough all over to ensure that it does not rise too much.
10. Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 to 15 minutes (or longer depending on how crunchy you want your cheese sticks). I keep an eye on mine beginning at the 10 minute mark and check them every minute or two to see when they are as brown as I would like them.
11. Remove them from the oven. Let them cool a bit and then slice them in long strips to resemble cheese sticks.
12. ENJOY! I usually dip them in a low carb marinara or ranch dressing. Both are equally delicious.